Monday, 15 October 2012

School Magazine Evaulation


 One of my individual tasks was to create my own front cover and contents page for a college magazine. Once I had completed the task, I was able to analyse my strengths, weaknesses and what I need to improve on.

What went well?

I did well at the photography, arranging the magazine features on the front cover and research.I had taken this image using a Canon 600D.The photograph came out clear and I was pleased with how the photograph came out.  As part of my plan for the front cover I wanted to add an anchorage. An anchorage adds meaning. E.g. an image that relates to the texts. The text for my anchorage was “ Are you dressed for the job”

What I did well at - Researching

I did some research on what college magazines contain in their contents page and what they have on the front cover. As any other college magazine, they always have a photograph of the student as the front cover – the student is taken from a medium shot (from the waist up), the student looking towards the audience, smiling to give a warm feeling and appeal the audience. If the model isn’t looking to the camera /audience then there will normally be an anchorage to relate to the models actions.

What went well: Arranging the magazine features

I learnt to name and analyse magazine features, especially the main features included. In my magazine I included, an anchorage, barcode and teasers. I arranged the page so that the teasers are on the right hand side and the anchorage is on the left hand side near the image. I only had three sections on my front cover because I didn’t want to make the front over crowed with text. I had made the heading large so that it was easy for viewers for read and make the magazine stand out. I was able to use the space provided, I filled up the pages by adding large images, large text and giving the background a colour. I particular found that the contents page went well as the contents page was presentable. It has all the contents page requirements: subheadings, images and a bold title.

What do I need to improve on?

Completing the task I was able to recognise my weakness through the task. What I need to improve on the most is the placement of adverts. On the contents page, I was confused of where to place the advert – I found this a difficulty as I didn’t want the advert to overlapping anything. For me to avoid me overlapping anything I placed the advert in the middle of the page where there was gap, where it was easier to notice.

Key Points of development.

1.      It is important to have a target audience for your magazine as that it’s relevant to the audience. E.g. if you do a magazine targeted to women, you would do articles or pages about fashion (this is something that women like)

2.      It’s also required to do research on what appeals the audience; this makes it easier on how to grab the audience’s attention. It can be anything from freebies to competition that people may take part in

No comments:

Post a Comment